16 CFR Part 1610 Basic Flammability/Flame Spread for Clothing
Clothing Textiles sold in the US must all pass this standard flame spread test. This test does not offer the opportunity to claim a textile is flame resistant. That is conferred by ASTM F2502 or other large scale testing but all clothing is required to be tested to this standard and to pass to be sold in the US.
- Test used in textiles industry.
- Sample 15×150 mm placed in holder and dried in 100°C oven for 30 min.
- Placed at 45-degree angle in test apparatus.
- Flame impinges one second. Flame spread time measured.
- Class 1: average burn time ≥ 3.5 seconds.
- Performance Levels:
- Pass (all levels): Class 1
This test is a flame spread test rather than a flame resistance test.
This test is required in our ASTM F2100 medical mask testing, NIOSH Type respirator testing and ASTM F3502 barrier face covering testing unless the device is truly flame resistant.
For more information on the specific requirements of the test see US Government Federal Register 16 CFR Part 1610 Standard for the Flammability of Clothing Textiles.