NFPA 1971: Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
ArcWear provides pre-testing for the following tests covered by this standard
Fabrics and ensembles may require testing for flame resistance by either:
Thermal Protective Performance must be evaluated spaced, un-spaced and before and after laundering by ISO 17492 – Thermal Transfer Performance (TTP)
Many elements including fabric, ensembles, helmets, gloves and hoods are tested according to ASTM F2894 – Heat Resistance.
Samples must be conditioned by different standards including:
Other test methods in the ArcWear accredited scope for Turnout Gear include
Ball Burst Strength.
This standard includes specifications and testing for the following equipment:
- Structural Fire Fighting Protective Garment Elements
- Proximity Fire Fighting Protective Garment Elements
- Protective Helmet
- Protective Gloves
- Protective Footwear
- Protective Hood Interface Components
- Optional Protective components including particulate protection
- Wristlet and garment/glove interface requirements
- Optional performance requirements for protection from liquid and particulate contaminants.
Most of these tests are included in our UL Third-Party Data Acceptance Program. Ask for details.