ASTM F2101 Test Method for Evaluating the Bacterial Filtration Efficiency (BFE) of Medical Face Mask Materials
Kinectrics microbiology lab performs this testing under our ISO 17025 lab under strict controls to assure the reliability and safety of our testing.
- Measures the filtration efficiency of medical mask to a bacterial challenge.
- Mask sample clamped between a cascade impactor and aerosol chamber.
- Aerosol containing bacteria Staphylococcus aureus is drawn through the sample using a vacuum pump.
- Bacteria that penetrates the mask sample are collected on agar plates and sorted by particle size.
- Plates counted to determine bacterial filtration efficiency using ratio of upstream to downstream counts
- Performance Levels:
- Level 1 ≥ 95%,
- Level 2/3 ≥ 98%.